big crash after creating 3d

Found a bug? Report it here or post features requests.
About this Forum

Found a bug? Report it here with steps to repeat. Attach a file if possible. Have an idea for a new program feature or suggestion? Post here and tell us about it.

big crash after creating 3d

Postby pmacinnes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Im not sure how this works - maybe since Xara developed the ability to automatically make available newly purchased widgets and slider packs?? I was creating graphics with 3d extrusions and Xara crashed - no problem - I've had the software stall before. But this time when the computer rebooted and came up - Xara was essentially neutered - it would not open my xar extrusion files, it would not open other older xar files, it couldnt even open bitmap files....it would show all of them in the preview window (even the xar files) and show the handle points on the screen as if it had opened the files - but nothing was visible....I couldn't even make shapes - the tool acted like it was working and it created handle points as if a shape had been made - but nothing was visible on the screen.....
the bitmap files I had created using xara were fine and could be opened and viewed properly using different graphic softwares...
(Here's the weird part) - I really needed to continue working on the extrusions, so I copied the files to a USB stick and went to a separate computer that is free standing - not attached to a network with the first - and when I opened XDP X on the 2nd computer and tried to view the xar files from the usb stick - I got the same thing!!!
I sent the crash report and followed up with a description to support but that was Wednesday and I've heard absolutely nothing in reply. I have the install file and could try re-installing but fear I'll lose all my back up files associated with the program.....how does xara make separate installs on separate systems display the same crash damage?
I am a loyal xara user and have an install of every version ever released and my older versions are OK - but don't have some of the functionality I need for this project....please advise
pmacinnes

Re: big crash after creating 3d

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Sounds like quite a pickle :(
Your right, opening a good file ought not affect a seperate install on another PC.
Why not attach your file here and we'll see what happens when we open it?

Reinstalling won't delete your backup files.
Xara don't respond to support tickets in one or two days, give them a bit more time :)
PS: Don't forget to post your feedback.
Steve
Custodian
Custodian

Postby pmacinnes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 am

Here is the file I was creating when the crash occurred - all of these were also exported as jpegs and the jpegs can be opened and viewed in other software - but not xara - no xar files can be opened in xara - they show up in preview pane but only the boundary bars show on screen....
Thank you

Moderator Note: file removed pending investigation
pmacinnes

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 am

Peter, you'll have to wait for Xara's support on this one. Something is definitely wrong with your file, it's rendered may main machine inoperable.
Steve
Custodian
Custodian

Postby pmacinnes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

sorry athman...... - Ive done a number of checks using different anti virus scanners and my system comes up clean every time - did you have the same experience I did? does your screen not show files?
pmacinnes

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm

The file crashed DPX, nothing showed except a font warning, but it opened in Xara X1 with messages about a font error in the file that it was fixed. (also a font not installed on the system 'Survival Horror')
I could save in XaraX1 and then open that new file in DPX but with a new error about shadow properties when there was no shadowed objects. I could see the objects on the page but couldn't select any of them, saw loads of layers from import from PDF files (so you've been adding downloaded clipart from the web by the looks). My PC CPU was racing faster and faster, Xara X1 was not closing and I couldn't re save the now opened file in DPX without another Internal Program Error. CPU usage shot up to 100%, fan racing, PC totally frozen up. Had to reset, but CPU activity shot up as soon as the desktop appeared, nothing was loading, mouse was like stuck in treacle.. I had to reset the machine again but it failed to load the desktop fully before freezing up again.
I've run a scan in safe mode - no infections. Cleared my system temp files and although booted normally this time the machine is not behaving well.. Still investigating the cause..
I have no idea at this time what your file caused, but it's very dodgy I agree. A job for Xara.. Let us know what they find?
Steve
Custodian
Custodian

Return to Make a wish or report a bug